In this post we are going to share with you some tips to improve your paceline riding. This can be used both in group riding and in racing.
First and foremost, it is important to first address the purpose of a pace line. begin let us blow your minds with some perspective.
That is to work as a group to USE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF ENERGY to go as fast as possible.
Say what? A paceline is not used to hurt other riders and drop as many people as possible?
To drop other riders you would use an attack, and that is something we will cover in another post.
A paceline is often incorrectly used to “ninja star” the group and drop riders. This “ninja star” ultimately moves the group around slower, weakens all the riders, and drops only the riders who will not be a factor in the end of the ride or race.
To create an effective paceline, one that moves fast and that all riders benefit, try following these nine tips.
1. Take long pulls in a headwind.
2. Take short pulls in a tailwind.
3. Only stand to get back into the paceline at the back of the group.
4. Ride slightly off to one side of the rider that you are behind.
5. Commit to the side you choose to ride behind on.
6. Look ahead up the road, do not stare at the wheel in front of you.
7. Choose your line based on the road ahead of you, not the rider in front of you.
8. Choose pull strength and during based of KEEPING the SAME pace of the group.
9. Use your front brake as a clutch instead of passing the rider in front of you when they slow or stopping pedaling abruptly.